I’ve been thinking about what to do next with my Romo, and one thing immediately comes to mind. Using the three output ports at the front. I’ve been thinking about what I could do with those and especially what could be achieved musically using a tiny robot. I guess that’s what’s really interesting.
So I’ve started to gather some information on what the output from the ports is and then I’ll need to start some careful testing too. More on that as it develops.
I’m really intrigued by the idea of physical objects interacting with the real world, which is why I decided to get a Sphero ball. It’s a very interesting device, and there are a few apps that work with it, including especially Shapesynth, which makes some amazing sounds.
So I’m just getting started now on this, and starting to think about how I can use Sphero in a variety of different settings.
I was mucking around with Romo, trying to get it over a little assault course the other day. It was fun, but it did make me start to wonder about what sort of creative applications could be made for Romo? I’m not sure he could be used for music, or at least not in the current form of Romo.
Aside from creative applications I would like to see a few other features available for Romo, like the ability to log in to a Romo over the web to be able to use it as a remote web cam perhaps.
I’ve been using the Romo desktop Mac OSX app as well recently, and it’s really good. It’s very useful to be able to use the arrow keys to steer with, almost better than the virtual joystick. The only downside is that there’s no way to record video from it. Even so, it’s good to have another way to control Romo.
It has been just over a week since I sent my Romo off to Germany to have his main board’s firmware updated to work with an EU smartphone. He’s back, and he works just fine now. In fact, he seems to be as good as new.
After all this time it’s great to be playing around with my Romo and enjoying such a clever idea. Now I want more from my Romo apps already!
I really must send off my Romo to get it’s firmware updated this weekend.
Well, after lots of tinkering around I couldn’t get the Romo to work at all. I decided that the only thing left to do was to try support. I found out that the Romo has problems in the EU due to volume restrictions on smartphones. Apparently the people at Romotive at looking at a new board and firmware to fix the problem. So not insignificant at all.
That’s a shame. I was look forward to having some fun with this.
Romo’s seem to be arriving all over the place, although mainly in the US of course. I’m still waiting for mine and for the updated app to get into the iOS app store. I’m really looking forward to seeing mine and getting a chance to play with it.